first up The Breastfeeding Promotion Act introduced by Representative Carolyn B. Maloney (NY) and Senator Jeff Merkley (OR) in the senate on June 11
heres a link to the actual text http://bit.ly/Hi944 or http://maloney.house.gov/documents/women/breastfeeding/061009%20Breastfeeding%20Promotion%20Act.pdf
(sorry to make you cut and paste but links are wonky for some reason)
The Breastfeeding Promotion Act (H.R. 2819, S. 1244) includes five provisions:
- Amends the Civil Rights Act of 1964 to protect breastfeeding women from being fired or discriminated against in the workplace.
- Provides tax incentives for businesses that establish private lactation areas in the workplace, or provide breastfeeding equipment or consultation services to their employees.
- Provides for a performance standard to ensure breast pumps are safe and effective.
- Allows breastfeeding equipment and consultation services to be tax deductible for families (amends Internal Revenue Code definition of "medical care").
- Protects the privacy of breastfeeding mothers by ensuring they have break time and a private place to pump (applies to employers with 50 or more employees, see text of legislation for details)
Heres a site that will look up your congresspeople. http://www.visi.com/juan/congress/ and heres a pre written letter to send with an auto everything if thats easier for you http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/5162/t/6359/campaign.jsp?campaign_KEY=1697
Let them know how important this is!
#2 on my list is a new blog i found http://bfwlibrarymidwifery.wordpress.com/
haven't read it in detail yet but seems to focus on protocols for clinicians.....literature reviews, studies etc oh and its british.....
and here is a good post about the different types of midwives practicing in florida http://centralfloridagreenguide.com/2009/08/04/florida-midwifery/
ok well i'm posting for now but i'll prolly (maybe) edit to add more later